The hidden Lowveld gem is often praised for its breath-taking views of the towering Bekker Mountains, and endless bushveld vistas running unbroken all the way to the southern boundary of the Kruger National Park. Immerse yourself in the marvels of nature with an array of activities to keep you entertained throughout your stay.
Enjoy an adventurous game drive with our knowledgeable guide, hike up to the majestic Zebra Heights and meander amongst the bounteous plains game which roams around the property. Or simply sit back with a glass of award-winning wine on our extensive verandas and indulge yourself in the natural orchestra of over 265 bird species.
Tomjachu Nature Reserve, Mpumalanga
- Once the Fillery family home, this extensive villa is steeped in elegance and charm with unrivaled views over the reserve.
- Three individual en-suite rooms in the historic Homestead offer an intimate and relaxed atmosphere.
- Simply blissful solitude. A truly romantic getaway, with wild mountain views at the foot of your bed.
- Huddled beneath a giant fig tree, our charming Keeper’s Cottage offers guests complete privacy and serenity.
- A stone-clad hideaway blending naturally into the bush with far reaching views across the valley and mountains - a private paradise.
DINING AND BARS
Well Equipped Kitchen
Plunge Pool (Rock House)
- In the warmth and comfort of The Homestead you can get your taste-buds jumping with a variety of flavours. The menus embody home-style cooking with elegant flair using home-grown and locally sourced organic ingredients. Sit by the fire to enjoy canapés before a sumptuous four-course set menu dinner by candlelight in our intimate dining room.
With continental and cooked breakfast options you can enjoy a healthy or a hearty breakfast to set you up for the day, with a dramatic mountain backdrop. Light lunches are also available with prior arrangement.
Bush Dinner Experience
- A truly unforgettable experience, you will be taken deep into the bush in the open game viewer stopping at the gorge for a sundowner. Further down the valley is the bush Lapa, perched on the edge of a huge granite boulder, where a crackling fire and delicious canapés await your arrival. Dinner is served under the canopy of the night sky with only the sounds of the trilling nightjars to accompany the tranquillity.
- For a memorable day out, they can prepare a picnic basket with sandwiches or wraps, fresh fruit, and home-made energy bars to take with you in on your hike or cycle around the property, where you can stop at one of our stunning picnic sites (see ‘Nature’s Secrets’) and re-energize. They can also provide picnics for day trips and tours away from the property.
Cottage Meals -
If you would like to eat in the comfort of your cottage, or if it’s one of those days you just don’t feel like cooking, they have a wonderful cottage meals menu. Why not try one of their home-made, pre-prepared meals such as sustainably fished smoked trout pie, soup of the day, or a traditional South African braai (barbeque) pack. Delivered to your cottage, all you must do is warm them up, open a bottle of our fine wine, and enjoy!
Tomjachu Wines -
A unique and varied range of carefully selected award-winning wines in our cellar, including vegan wines. All are produced in South Africa, mostly from small, family-owned vineyards, and many supporting conservation initiatives such as Conservation in Action.
Lounge with fireplace
Guided Bush Walks
Wi-Fi is available throughout the lodge.
Tomjachu Nature Reserve
Tomjachu is an exclusive private nature reserve set in over 550 hectares of mountain bushveld, located within the Crocodile Valley Nature Conservancy. Now owned by the third generation of the Fillery family, the property has experienced a number of transformations over the years to become a wildlife haven for our guests enjoy today. We invite you to be part of the continuing story of Tomjachu.